Apache Miscellaneous Documentation
Below is a list of additional documentation pages that apply
to the Apache web server development project.
- Description of Apache's Application Programming
- Frequently-Asked Questions concerning the Apache project
- Reading Client Input in
- Describes differences between Apache 1.1 and 1.2 in how
modules read information from the client.
- Compatibility with
- Notes about Apache's compatibility with the NCSA
- How to use XSSI and
Negotiation for custom ErrorDocuments
- Describes a solution which uses XSSI and negotiation to
custom-tailor the Apache ErrorDocuments to taste, adding the
advantage of returning internationalized versions of the
error messages depending on the client's language
- File Descriptor use in
- Describes how Apache uses file descriptors and talks
about various limits imposed on the number of descriptors
available by various operating systems.
- A description of the causes of Apache processes going
into the FIN_WAIT_2 state, and what you can do
- Instructions about how to accomplish some
commonly-desired server functionality changes.
- HTTP Features list
- A tab-separate table of HTTP features implemented and
tested in Apache.
- Known Client
- A list of problems in HTTP clients which can be mitigated
- No PGP
- Why we took PEM and PGP support out of the base Apache
- Performance Notes (BSD
- Some notes about ways to improve/optimize Apache
performance on BSD 4.4 systems.
- Performance Notes (Digital
- Extracts of USENET postings describing how to optimize
Apache performance on Digital UNIX systems.
- Performance Notes (HPUX)
- Email from an HP engineer on how to optimize HP-UX
- Performance Notes (General)
- Some generic notes about how to improve the performance
of your machine/OS.
- Performance Notes -- Apache
- Notes about how to (run-time and compile-time) configure
Apache for highest performance. Notes explaining why Apache
does some things, and why it doesn't do other things (which
make it slower/faster).
- Security Tips
- Some "do"s - and "don't"s - for keeping your Apache web
- Virtual Hosts (IP-based)
- Excerpts and notes about configuring and using Apache
IP-based virtual hosts.
- Windows Bug with Web
- A brief description of a known problem with Microsoft
Windows and web sites accessed using keepalive